Men are the enemies of women. Promising sublime intimacy, unequalled passion, amazing security and grace, they nevertheless exploit and injure in a myriad subtle ways. Without men the world would be a better place: softer, kinder, more loving; calmer, quieter, more humane.
The primary function of myth is to validate an existing social order. Myth enshrines conservative social values, raising tradition on a pedestal. It expresses and confirms, rather than explains or questions, the sources of cultural attitudes and values. Because myth anchors the present in the past it is a sociological charter for a future society which is an exact replica of the present one.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- A. S. Byatt English Novelist, Poet
- Penelope Fitzgerald British Novelist, Biographer
- Julie Andrews British Actress, Singer
- Zadie Smith (b.1975) English Novelist, Essayist, Short-story Writer
- Linda Ellerbee American Journalist
- Alice Walker American Novelist, Activist
- Bob Brown qqq
- Fannie Flagg American Comedian, Novelist
- Dennis Genpo Merzel American Buddhist Monk
- Rita Mae Brown American Writer, Feminist