If you want to be a complete human being, if you want to be genuine and hold the fullness of life in your heart, then failure is an opportunity to get curious about what is going on and listen to the storylines. Don’t buy the ones that blame it on everybody else, and don’t buy the storylines that blame it on yourself either.
What we call ‘I’ is just a swinging door which moves when we inhale and when we exhale. When your mind is… calm enough to follow this movement, there is nothing, no world, no mind nor body, just a swinging door.
What’s encouraging about meditation is that even if we shut down, we can no longer shut down in ignorance. We see very clearly that we’re closing off. That in itself begins to illuminate the darkness of ignorance
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Robert Thurman American Buddhist Scholar
- The 14th Dalai Lama Tibetan Buddhist Religious Leader
- Alan Watts British-American Philosopher
- D. T. Suzuki Japanese Buddhist Philosopher
- Joseph Goldstein American Buddhist Teacher
- Thich Nhat Hanh Vietnamese Buddhist Religious Leader
- Natalie Goldberg American Buddhist Author
- Nagarjuna Indian Buddhist Philosopher
- Janet Erskine Stuart English Catholic Nun
- Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche Tibetan Buddhist Teacher